Teaching is all about multitasking. You need to hold so many different things in your head at all times while staying alert for new problems and issues that may arise. In one minute you have to focus on giving the whole class directions, redirecting a student who is off task, helping another student who is confused, and keeping an eye on the clock. It is really remarkable that anything gets done in what can be a stressful and chaotic environment.
That is exactly why teachers need procedures and classrooms need structure. I am working on this. Organization is not my strong suit. I have managed to survive this long in life without any serious organizational system. I make notes of my appointments and engagements, but I haven't used a single, central system, nor have I made a point of recording each and every appointment I have throughout my day. I am finding my old (lack of) system unsustainable. There are simply too many meetings, too many classes to prep for, and too many things outside of school that I need to remember every day. My goal for this week is to work on my organization and procedures. It will make the rest of the year so much easier.
Today was a good day, probably the smoothest day that I have had so far. I'm getting used to the routines of teaching every day, and the students are getting used to my personality and classroom procedures. Students come into class expecting a warm-up, they know that there will be time for group work and conversation, and they know when and how I regain their attention. I have had to start issuing tardy slips for students who are unprepared when class begins, and that seems to be effective. One technique I used with a class that was talkative was to issue a warning, then hold them after the bell for each disruption they cause after the warning. I liked this technique, as it made the students accountable for each other's behavior as well as their own.
I'm still finding the classroom management strategies that work for me, but today felt much better than any previous day. Teaching is like a juggling act - you can only juggle so many different balls at a time. I feel like I have got down 3 balls at a time right now - tomorrow we can try to add another.
Till then!
So proud of you, Ian! You are so determined to reach and help each and every one of your students, and it's so admirable. Keep up the Blogging! And share this with the virtual world soon! You will likely get lots of great feedback, and reading your experiences will surely help others!
ReplyDelete